Friday, December 15, 2017

Looking back....

As I sit in my cozy living room, the house is quiet, the snow is falling and I have a million things I should be doing but instead I am taking some time to reflect.   It will be one year since we left Haiti.  Lately I have found myself wanting to go back.  I want to smell the smells, drive the streets and take in the sights.  I want to walk the road outside the gates on early mornings and dodge cattle and be greeted by each person walking by.  I want to enter the gates of COTP and walk the path to the Grace House.  I would love to be greeted by the nannies and have a conversation with them with the very little creole I knew and taste their delicious rice n beans.  Much more I would love to hear the voices of the kids we cared for yelling my name the minute they seen me coming down the path.  I want to walk up on the roof, hang my laundry out and look over the sugar cane fields and to the beautiful mountains that were my backyard every day.   I want to go back to the simplicity of life in Haiti.










I love these people.  They have taught me so much about how to truly love others...we surely didn't have it figured out and we messed up a lot but I learned so much from these people.   I am also so thankful that three of these kiddos are united with their forever families.  It is such a joy to get updates from their mom's and see pictures of how they are growing.  Please keep them in your prayers as they all transition into a new normal.








But here we are one year later and I can't help but reflect on God's faithfulness and how He has sustained and carried us through a year of transition.  If I think back to last year we were is such a different place.  All of us just surviving, barely keeping our heads above water.  I can't help put praise God for His goodness and love shown to our family.  He has healed broken hearts, He has healed emotional wounds, He has brought love, joy, and laughter back into our home.  He has blessed Kevin's business more than we could imagine.  My heart is just full of gratitude.

Haiti was hard but I can say I feel incredibly blessed to have walked that road of brokenness.  I am thankful how God used Haiti to change my heart and transform my life.   How he used challenging situations to make me who I am today.  I know I couldn't see that then but God sure was working and walking with me each step of the way.   His purposes where so much greater than mine and I am so glad we said "yes....send us".


                                        
I love this song from Matt Redman...it speaks so much to my heart

Standing on this mountaintop
Looking just how far we've come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us
Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You've done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful



I have a longing to go back and praying to know when the time will be right but today I am holding onto the sweet memories and thanking God for them and praying for God to show us how he will use our family in this coming year.

Merry Christmas with love,
Sarah


Children of the Promise has given explicit permission for the posting of photos on this site.  Photos taken of children in the care of Children of the Promise are not to be posted publicly without explicit permission given by Children of the Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment